Sunday, July 19, 2009

Spano's Specials Shine

I should begin by saying I come from an Italian family. I love Italian food. I grew up eating grandma's homemade spaghetti sauce and meatballs. It takes a lot to impress my Italian taste buds.


I've been to Spano's a few times now. On my first few visits, I had either spaghetti or chicken parmesan. They were good -- but nothing to call home to mom about.

This past weekend, I received an e-mail stating their special would be a flank steak, Gorgonzola, balsamic pizza. I'm the kind of guy who thinks a great pizza consists of marinara sauce, cheese, and pepperoni. However, this special sounded spectacular.

The wife and I decided to split the pizza and Spano's homemade manicotti. The menu made it sound like a house special, so I figured I needed to venture beyond the "spaghetti and chicken parm safe zone." Come to think of it: is there anything unsafe about manicotti?


Anyway, this meal completely changed the way I think about Spano's. The pizza was one of the best I've ever had -- and the manicotti was melt-in-your-mouth delightful. Everything tasted exceptional. Now, I'm anxious to try additional dishes on the menu.


Spano's sends out a weekly e-mail highlighting weekend specials. I've received this now for a few months and the specials always impress me....I just haven't had a chance to stop in and try them. If you enjoy adventurous meals you won't often find anywhere else in Abilene, I suggest you sign up. Food in Abilene can often be "meat and potatoes." Spano's specials stand out from the pack!

No comments:

Post a Comment