Thursday, August 5, 2010

Sugar and Spice

I am a big fan of the homemade chips at Alley Cats. In fact, I was on my way there Tuesday for lunch with two other Alley Cats lovers and a new hire who had never been there. We spent the entire car trip telling her how good the home made chips are, describing the thin, salty, seasoned and semi-sweet goodness.

But when we got there, after upgrading our wraps to include chips and a drink, we were told they were out of homemade chips. So, BBQ Lays would have to do. Boo!

Today I needed to run an errand downtown so my date and I decided to head to Alley Cats again, since we were still craving the chips 48 hours later.

Alas, they're still out.

This sounds rude, but we turned around and walked out. Not because I don't like Alley Cats, but because we'd already been there once this week. They did have a delicious looking build-your-own burger bar with all kinds of tasty-looking toppings, but I wasn't in a burger kind of mood. I was in a wrap with salty/sweet chips kind of mood!

So my date and I walked to Cypress Street. They have good homemade chips, right?, we asked ourselves.


C'mon, say it with me in the Twix guy's voice --
OHHHHH YEEEEAH.

I got the blackened chicken wrap and my date got the club. Both came with a heapin' helpin' of homemade chips! I think these are a lot sweeter than Alley Cat's chips, and may actually have enough granulated sugar in the seasoning mix that a diabetic should inquire about it. I should have asked what all is in the seasoning.

So, which restaurant has your favorite homemade potato chips? Alley Cats or Cypress Street? Or maybe you crave homemade tortilla chips and salsa from somewhere?

No comments:

Post a Comment