Monday, January 19, 2009

La Popular...

I had lunch today and La Popular. They have 2 branches here in Abilene. I drive past one frequently over off of S. 14th near the station. However, their main branch appears to be the one off of Pine on the north side (another hole-in-the-wall Mexican joint on the north side - beware Laura!). This one was a little different - more of a fast-food place. The location on S 14th has a drive through for your convenience in case you are on the go. We went to the one on the north side which has a pretty large area to sit down in. I ordered a "supreme burrito" - I had been hearing how incredible their burritos are and admired one that a friend was eating one day so I thought I'd give it a whirl. It was great. lettuce, tomatoes - all fresh tasting. I enjoyed it. If you like spicy salsa this place would be great for you and apparently they sell it by the pint if you're interested. One questionable note that could make some skeptical it their use of some questionable meat... I've indulged in the Mexican culture a tad myself so I sort of know better than to order a meat whose name is not familiar to me but some may not feel so discerning. Well La Popular is pretty true to it's Mexican roots and a friend found out the hard way that his favorite meat there actually comes from the head of a goat... So it may taste delicious but I wouldn't highly recommend being adventurous with your order unless you know what you are getting into.

OVERALL... Burrito was great. Service was speedy and they make fresh lemonade and sweet tea that is to die for.

No comments:

Post a Comment