Monday, February 22, 2010

Lunch au naturale

I tried the Natural Foods Center in Abilene (on South 7th near Rose Park) for the first time on Saturday, and I will DEFINITELY return!

The food was so good and was reasonably priced. In fact, my husband just asked me if I'd like to go back for lunch today. (Maybe later in the week.)

I got the special which just said "Salmon and Avocado with Wasabi" or something. I had no idea what it was going to look like, but figured the ingredients sounded good. It turned out to be two types of salad served with chips and lettuce. One salad was salmon with avocado, onion, pineapple and who knows what else. The other was avocado with onion, papaya and maybe cilantro? It was kind of strange to be eating two different salads of the same consistency, but both were tasty.

My husband got a burger, which he really enjoyed. The whole lunch cost $15. Not bad at all!

The Natural Foods Center is really large, but the restaurant portion takes up much more room than the store portion. I was also surprised not to find produce... maybe I missed it or maybe it doesn't sell fast enough or something.

There were dozens of tables set up, and about half of them were full at 1 p.m. on a Saturday.

I'm excited about Thursdays there. They have live music and serve tapas, both a la carte and a la fixed price menu. Sounds great, and can't wait to go back! (Well, I guess I CAN wait a couple of days, at least.)

2 comments:

  1. Awesome choice! I LOVE grabbing lunch there, my usual order is the Middle East Feast or Stuffed Avocados, smoothies are great too, but my favorite... Papaya Juice :). YUM! Still need to round up the girls for tapas, but I've had their wild sockeye salmon before and it's real tasty.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been to the Tapas on Thursdays and it was FABULOUS!!! I love the choice of food and the atmosphere. HAving friendly and live music playing was a bonus. My husband and I have been dying to go again, just the two of us, or get a small group of couples together for a evening of quiet conversation, good music, and amazing and healthy food!

    ReplyDelete